Garlic Scape Pesto #2
- 10 to 12 large garlic scapes, with the bulb removed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup (lightly packed) clean and dry basil leaves
- 1/2 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 to 1 cup (or more depending on how thick you want your pesto) of good quality olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 cup of grated Parmesan Cheese
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Stop processing and all of the nuts. Pulse processor until nuts are roughly chopped and fully mixed in. This gives the pesto a great texture.
Put in an airtight container and cover with a thin layer of olive oil. Will keep refrigerated for a week or two. Spoon garlic scape pesto into ice cube trays. When cubes are frozen, remove and transfer to a plastic freezer bag.
One of our favorite meals is to grill sausage, chicken or fish and serve it with pasta and garlic scape pesto.
Spread fresh ricotta cheese on a toasted baguette and cover with garlic scape pesto.
Use garlic scape pesto on sandwiches instead of mayo.
Add frozen scape pesto cubes to soups, pasta sauces or stews for a great, rich flavor.
Add additional olive oil to thin down pesto and drizzle over tomatoes and mozzarella.